The Conveyor Design Procedure can be used to design a conveyor.
Quick Conveyor if you need assistance.
1. Determine product rate (products/min).
2. Determine product length (inches).
3. Determine product weight (lbs).
4. Calculate chain speed (feet/min):
Product length (inches) x 1 ft/12 inches x product rate (bottles/min) x 1.5 = ft/min.
Above formula gives speed with 1/2 product length space between each product.
5. Sketch path conveyor needs to follow.
6. Start with idle end of conveyor. You have three choices:
If you want to transfer product from a machine to conveyor, select either Q144 or Q198. If conveyor is free standing, select Q123. Flush side idles are free of bearings and bolt heads on the flush side.
7. Select straights required to get to first curve or drive. You have five choices:
a. Q134 12" Straight.
b. Q191 24" Straight.
c. Q120 48" Straight.
d. Q199 72" Straight.
e. Q130 96" Straight.
If you need length that is not an even multiple of 1 foot, then any straight can be cut to length desired.
8. Curves are available in two designs.
Curve Design # 1: 18" radius friction curves.
Friction curves cost less but limit conveyor length.
a. Q168 15 Degree 18" Radius.
b. Q190 30 Degree 18" Radius.
c. Q185 45 Degree 18" Radius.
d. Q124 60 Degree 18" Radius.
e. Q140 90 Degree 18" Radius.
The total of these curves should not exceed 180 degrees (i.e. two 90 degree curves or four 45 degree curves, etc.) If you need to exceed the 180 degree limitation, then a transfer needs to be used to break conveyor path into two conveyors. You have two choices:
Curve Design # 2: 8" radius non-friction curves.
Non-friction curves cost more but do not have drag. Do not count these curves when determining the 180 degree curve limitation. A conveyor with a Disk Curve is considered a straight conveyor.
You have three choices:
a. Q157 90 Degree 8" Radius Disk Curve.
b. Q167 135 Degree 8" Radius Disk Curve.
c. Q197 180 Degree 8" Radius Disk Curve.
9. Continue to select curves and straights until you complete your conveyor path.
10. Complete conveyor with a drive. You have three choices:
Again, if you want to transfer product from a conveyor to a machine, select either Q192 or Q117.
If conveyor is free standing, select Q158. Flush side drives are free of bearings and bolt heads on the flush side.
11. Now that you have completed the path and selected conveyor modules, you need to check if each conveyor is within design limits.
a. To accurately determine chain pull, dowanload Rexnord's Calculation Software for Rex Tabletop Chains. Use the Tabletop Conveyor Analyzer. Select Sideflexing Conveyor Analysis.
b. Ideally, each conveyor should have less than 180 degrees of friction curves.
c. For additional help, contact Quick Conveyor.
If you exceed the recommended length for your configuration, revise conveyor by shortening conveyor, reducing number of 18" radius friction curves, replacing 18" radius friction curves with 8" radius disk curves or adding transfers.
12. Select gear motor based on speed required.
a. Q161 1/2 HP, 45 to 228 FPM. (FPM=Feet/Minute)
b. Q162 1/4 HP, 11.5 to 32.5 FPM.
See product information pages for details. All gear motors have 230/460 three phase motors. If 115 volt single phase input is required, purchase a variable frequency controller product Q121 that has 115 volt input and 230 volt 3 phase output. If variable speed is desired, again you will need to purchase a variable frequency controller.
13. Select legs as required. Legs must be used on end of idles and drives, (two legs on transfers) and at least every 8' of conveyor. If flush drives or idles are securely bolted to a machine, those legs can be eliminated. Legs adjust in height for top of chain elevations between 36" and 41". Shorter legs can be made by cutting standard pipe support as required. Longer legs can be made by purchasing 1.5" schd. 10 stainless steel pipe and cutting to desired length. You have six choices for legs:
a. Q107 Disk Curve Leg.
b. Q118 Double Conveyor Leg.
c. Q126 Drive/Idle Return Shoe Leg supports Q123 or Q158 20 1/2" from end of conveyor.
d. Q154 installs on straight conveyor.
e. Q155 18" Radius Curve Leg used on Q140.
f. Q194 installs on drives, idles and transfers.
14. Order chain Q137 for conveyor. Chain is sold in 120" lengths. 2' of chain is required for every 1' of conveyor length.
15. Order wearstrip Q113 for straight conveyors. 4' of wearstrip is required for each 1' of conveyor length. Only straights require wearstrips to be installed by customer. Drives, idles, transfers and curves have wearstrip installed by Quick Conveyor. Wearstrip is sold in 240" lengths.
16. Order guide rail materials. You have two choices of molded plastic top guide rail brackets and one stainless steel top bracket:
a. Q116 Short Top Guide Rail Bracket.
b. Q119 Tall Top Guide Rail Bracket.
c. Q128 Single Rail Top Guide Rail Bracket.
Modules are supplied with bottom guide rail brackets but without top guide rail brackets. Bottom brackets are slotted vertically so they can be installed high or low. High position allows top bracket to extend over the top of chain. Low position allows product to overhang the edge of chain and not hit the bottom bracket. Guide rail Q178 has 1/2 round UHMW plastic insert. Q179 has a 1.25" flat UHMW plastic insert. They are sold in 96" lengths. With two guide rails on each side of conveyor, order 4' of guide rail for every 1' of conveyor. At each attachment point of the guide rail to the top guide rail bracket, you will require a Guide Rail Clip Kit Q100. Each top guide rail bracket requires a Carriage Bolt and Ratchet Handle Q106 to bolt top guide rail bracket to bottom guide rail bracket or carriage bolt and not Q136. The following additional parts are available if required:
17. Order other accessories if required:
a. Q108 Machine Interface provides parts to bolt Quick Conveyor to a machine.
b. Q135 Roller Deadplate Kit - 3 1/4 Chain.
c. Q164 Straight Connector Kit is used to connect two straights.
18. We also have 6' Handpack Stations Q148 and Q149.
19. We also have 42" Dia. feed and pack disks Q172, Q173, Q174, and Q175.
Comments on this procedure are welcome.